Fotheringham Crossing Pyramid

{{short description|Monument on the Neuquén River}}

{{Infobox Monument

|monument_name = Fotheringham Crossing Pyramid

|native_name = Monolito Recordatorio Paso Fotheringham

|image = Neuquen, Argentina - panoramio (3).jpg

|caption =

|location = Sapere, Neuquén, Argentina

|designer =

|material = Brick and cement

|type =

|length =

|width =

|height =

|begin =

|complete =

|open = February 3, 1947

|dedicated_to = Crossing of the Neuquén River during the Conquest of the Desert

|map_image =

|map_caption =

|map_width =

|coordinates = {{Coord|38|56|59.7|S|68|01|24.2|W|type:landmark_region:AR|display=inline,title}}

|lat =

|long =

|extra =

}}

The Fotheringham Crossing Pyramid ({{langx|es|Monolito Paso Fotheringham}}) is a monument located on a hill on the bank of the Neuquén River, in the neighborhood of Sapere in Neuquén, Argentina, built to commemorate the crossing of the river by Colonel Fotheringham, Major Fábregras, and an unknown soldier in 1879, during the Conquest of the Desert.

Background

At midday on June 11, 1879, an Argentine Army retinue led by Julio Roca, then Minister of War and the Navy, reached the confluence of the Neuquén and Limay Rivers during the Conquest of the Desert, a military campaign directed against the native population of Argentina.

Roca ordered the natives serving among his men to cross the river, but they were unable to do it and almost drowned. He then offered a reward of 2,000 pesos to whoever could cross. English-born Ignacio Hamilton Fotheringham, the commander of the 7th Infantry Regiment, took up the challenge, joined by Sergeant Fábregas and an unknown soldier.{{cite book|last=Fotheringham|first=Ignacio|url=http://letras-uruguay.espaciolatino.com/aaa/tyrrell_eduardo/gral_de_bgada_ignacio_hamilton.htm|title=La vida de un soldado: Reminiscencias de las Fronteras|publisher=Círculo Militar|year=1970|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}}

The strong current knocked the three men out of their horses. Although Fotheringham was dragged {{convert|400|m}} downstream by the cold water, he and his men were able to reach the other bank of the river, on the eastern edge of present-day Neuquén.{{cite news|url=https://www.rionegro.com.ar/el-dia-que-el-rio-casi-se-llevo-a-fotheringham-BY3526232/|title=El día que el río casi se llevó a Fotheringham|work=Rio Negro|date=September 11, 2017|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}}

Monument

The place of the crossing was declared a historic site on December 28, 1943.{{cite news|url=http://w1.lmneuquen.com.ar/04-04-15/regionales8.htm|title=Año del Centenario de la Ciudad de Neuquén - Olascoaga fue el primero en describir las bellezas de las región|

last=Bezerra|first=Elsa|work=LM Neuquén|date=April 15, 2004|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}} The pyramid, an obelisk about {{convert|10|m|ft}} in height and made of brick and cement, was inaugurated on a hill overlooking the bridges spanning the river between Neuquén and the neighboring city of Cipolletti on February 3, 1947.{{cite web|url=http://www.ciudaddeneuquen.gob.ar/CATALOGO_DE_MONUMENTOS_NEUQUEN.pdf|title=Catálogo de Monumentos Neuquén Neuquén|work=Neuquén's Official Site|year=2019|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}}{{cite news|url=https://www.lmneuquen.com/jose-buffolo-el-constructor-obras-claves-neuquen-n774159|title=José Búffolo, el constructor de obras claves para Neuquén|last=Bezerra|first=Elsa|work=LM Neuquén|date=February 20, 2021|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}} A sidewalk and cement benches were built around the monument. The original bronze plaques were stolen, and the pyramid has been repeatedly vandalized with graffiti.{{cite news|url=https://www.lmneuquen.com/neuquen-tiene-un-obelisco-que-pocos-vecinos-conocen-n506653|title=Neuquén tiene un obelisco que pocos vecinos conocen|last=Ramírez|first=Flavio|work=LM Neuquén|date=March 13, 2016|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}}

Along with the Neuquén River bridge, the monument was depicted in the first test card of LU84 Canal 7, a local television channel, in 1965.{{cite news|url=https://www.lmneuquen.com/hace-54-anos-nacia-canal-7-n669313|title=Hace 54 años nacía Canal 7|last=Cippitelli|first=Mario|work=LM Neuquén|date=December 3, 2019|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}} Despite remaining little-known among the general public in Neuquén, the monument is considered to be a symbol of the neighborhood of Sapere by its inhabitants.{{cite news|url=https://www.lmneuquen.com/vecinos-sapere-rescatan-historias-insolitas-del-barrio-n771495#:~:text=%2D%20Un%20monolito%20por%20cruzar%20el,medio%20siglo%20antes%2C%20en%201879.|title=Vecinos de Sapere rescatan historias insólitas del barrio|last=Calducci|first=Ana Laura|work=LM Neuquén|date=February 13, 2021|access-date=February 21, 2021|language=es}}

References