Glengall Grove

{{Short description|Street on the Isle of Dogs, London}}

{{Use dmy dates|date=April 2022}}

Glengall Grove is a street on the Isle of Dogs, in the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar. The street was once part of Glengall Road which stretched across most of the Isle of Dogs.

History

File:Glengall Road.png

{{clear}}

Glengall Street appears on Joseph Cross's New Plan of London for 1861,{{cite web |title=Map of London 1861, by Joseph Cross. |url=http://mapco.net/cross1861/cross32.htm |website=mapco.net |accessdate=30 October 2018}} but not on his previous plan of 1850.{{cite web |title=Map of London 1850 - Cross's New Plan Of London 1850. |url=http://london1850.com/cross23.htm |website=london1850.com |accessdate=30 October 2018}} The name comes from the Richard Butler, 2nd Earl of Glengall who had married Margaret Lauretta Mellish, the daughter of William Mellish, in 1834. Margaret and her sister inherited a large amount of land on the Isle of Dogs, known as the Mellish Estate. After becoming the Countess of Glengall, the trustees of the Mellish inheritance successfully challenged the Earl of Glengall, who was declared bankrupt before dying in 1858. It was thus during this period that Glengall Street and the nearby Mellish Street were named.

Millwall football club, then known as Millwall Rovers' first ever fixture was held on Glengall Road, on 24 October 1885 against a team called St Luke's.

Legacy

File:Glengall Bridge, Millwall Dock - geograph.org.uk - 438623.jpg

Glengall Bridge on the current Pepper Street carries the name "Glengall" and is located at the same place that a previous bridge linked the eastern and western parts of Glengall Grove.

References

{{reflist}}

{{Coord|51|29|45.71|N|0|0|49.71|W|scale:1563_region:GB|display=title}}

Category:Streets in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Category:Millwall