Saal an der Donau

{{short description|Place in Bavaria, Germany}}

{{Expand German|topic=geo|date=March 2009|Saal an der Donau}}

{{Infobox German location

|name = Saal a.d.Donau

|image_coa = DEU Saal an der Donau COA.svg

|image_photo = Kath. Pfarrkirche Saal a d Donau Landkreis Kelheim Niederbayern.JPG

|image_caption = Church of Christ, the King

|coordinates = {{coord|48|53|N|11|55|E|format=dms|display=inline,title}}

|image_plan = Saal an der Donau in KEH.svg

|state = Bayern

|region = Niederbayern

|district = Kelheim

|Verwaltungsgemeinschaft = Saal an der Donau

|elevation = 346

|area = 44.03

|postal_code = 93342

|area_code = 09441

|licence = KEH

|Gemeindeschlüssel = 09 2 73 166

|divisions = 15 Ortsteile

|website = [http://www.saal-donau.de/ www.saal-donau.de]

|mayor = Christian Nerb[https://www.statistik.bayern.de/wahlen/kommunalwahlen/bgm/ Liste der ersten Bürgermeister/Oberbürgermeister in kreisangehörigen Gemeinden], Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik, 15 July 2021.

|leader_term = 2020–26

|party = FW

}}

Saal ({{langx|bar|Saal an da Donau}}) is a municipality in the district of Kelheim in Bavaria in Germany. It is located along the banks of the Danube River, around 25 km southwest of Regensburg.

Ortsteile

Villages affiliated to the administration (Ortsteil) of Saal are

  • Buchhofen
  • Reißing
  • Mitterfecking
  • Peterfecking
  • Oberfecking
  • Einmuß
  • Seilbach
  • Oberschambach
  • Unterschambach
  • Oberteuerting
  • Unterteuerting
  • Kleinberghofen
  • Gstreifet
  • Kleingiersdorf
  • Felsenhäusl

History

The first settlements in Regensburg date back to the ages of the Hallstatt culture.

Saal was first mentioned in a document in 1002. Apparently Saal was at that time owned by Henry II, then

Duke of Bavaria, and given to the Niedermünster Abbey in Regensburg.

Already around 1530, the Thurn und Taxis family started to run a post-house in Saal. The German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stopped during his journey to Italy on September 5, 1786, at 15h in Saal for swapping horses at the post-house. The post horn featuring the coat of arms of Saal today still reminds of this tradition.[https://archive.today/20120801210739/http://www.hdbg.de/gemeinden2/bayerns-gemeinden_detail.php?gkz=9273166 Haus der bayerischen Geschichte] about the coat of arms of Saal

File:Memorial-Saal-KZ-Flossenbuerg.JPG

During World War II, a subcamp of the Nazi concentration camp Flossenbürg, named Ringberg Me,

was installed nearby the street connecting Saal and the neighboring village Teugn. The goal was to construct an underground arms industry plant

for Messerschmitt, a German aircraft manufacturer. At peak times more than 600 men were imprisoned in the subcamp. After the war 20 bodies and the ashes of about 360 people were found.

References

{{Reflist}}

  • [https://web.archive.org/web/20081216162828/http://www.saal-donau.de/abriss.htm Historical Development of Saal an der Donau (in German)]
  • [http://cms.neustadt-donau.de/default.aspx?tabid=6956 Neustadt a. d. Donau > History > Goethe in Neustadt a.d. Donau (in German)]
  • [http://www.keom.de/denkmal/suche_lager_anzeig.php?lager_id%5B%5D=602&submit.x=66&submit.y=3&submit=auswaehlen Subcamps of Konzentrationslager Flossenbürg, Location: Saal a.d. Donau (in German)] search at [http://www.keom.de/denkmal/information_e.html Deutschland - Ein Denkmal (english information page)]

{{Cities and towns in Kelheim (district)}}

{{Authority control}}

Category:Kelheim (district)

Category:Populated places on the Danube