Santa Maria del Sole, Lodi
History
A chapel was erected in the mid-16th century to shelter an image of the Madonna painted on a wall. A church was erected in 1564, and two decades later the image of the madonna was transferred to this church.
The icon had an image of the sun next to the Madonna. In 1710–1715, the church was rebuilt under the guidance of the architect Rocco Pellegrino.[https://books.google.com/books?id=b7TzgMsea2UC Lodi nelle poche sue antichità e cose d'arte], by the lawyer Bassano Martani, Tipografia Rezzonico Santo, Sant'Angelo Lodigiano, (1874), page 150-152. Tommaso Bonio architect of Facade[https://books.google.com/books?id=9SirqqQ6tdEC Lodi monografia storico-artistica], by Felice De Angeli, Andrea Timolati, published in Milan (1877), page 139.
Attached to the church was the Confraternity of the Disciplini della Carita, a charity dedicated helping those incarcerated and condemned to die. In 1644 they were granted by Philip IV of Spain, the right to free one man condemned to die.
The interior of the church has statues depicting Hope and Faith by the sculptor Somaini. The choir has an altarpiece depicting Coronation of the Virgin and the Mysteries of the Rosary by Giovanni Battista Trotti.Bassano Martani, (1874), page 152-153.
References
{{Reflist}}
{{Portal bar|Architecture|Catholicism|Italy}}
{{coord missing|Italy}}
{{DEFAULTSORT:Maria del Sole Lodi}}
Category:18th-century Roman Catholic church buildings in Italy
Category:Baroque architecture in Lombardy
Category:Roman Catholic churches in Lodi, Lombardy
Category:Roman Catholic churches completed in 1715
{{Italy-RC-church-stub}}