Wienhausen Abbey

{{Short description|Abbey in Lower Saxony, Germany}}

File:Kloster Wienhausen 3.jpg

Wienhausen Abbey or Convent ({{langx|de|Kloster Wienhausen}}) near Celle in Lower Saxony, Germany, is a community of Evangelical Lutheran women, which until the Reformation was a Cistercian Catholic nunnery. The abbey owns significant artworks and artifacts, including a collection of tapestries and the earliest surviving example of a type of eyeglasses.

History

The abbey was established in Wienhausen, {{convert|15|km|mi|sp=us}} from the town of Celle, on the bank of the Aller, in or about 1230 by Agnes von Landsberg, daughter-in-law of Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony and Bavaria. According to the Wienhausen town chronicle, this was the relocation of a monastic foundation made 10 years previously on a site at Nienhagen several kilometers away, which was moved because it had been built on marshland.

In 1233 the foundation of the nunnery here was officially confirmed by Konrad II of Riesenberg, bishop of Hildesheim, who transferred to the new abbey the archdeaconry church that had stood in Wienhausen since the mid 11th century, and the tithes of several villages. The nuns lived according to the Cistercian ruleMonastic Matrix, University of Southern California,[http://monasticmatrix.usc.edu/monasticon/?function=detail&id=1391] accessed 20 April 2008 although it is unclear to what extent they were ever formally part of the Cistercian hierarchy.

In 1469 the abbey came under the influence of the reformist Windesheim Congregation and were obliged to tighten up their Cistercian practice; one side-effect of the reform was that the then abbess, Katharina von Hoya, was removed to another nunnery.

In the 16th century, Duke Ernest of Brunswick-Lüneburg enforced the Reformation in his duchy. Despite the opposition of the entire community, the nunnery was transformed from a Roman Catholic into a Lutheran establishment for unmarried noble women (Damenstift) in 1531, after the Duke had broken the resistance of the community by the demolition of the provostry and most of the chapels in the church, and the confiscation of the provostry property, which formed a substantial part of the abbey's income. The destroyed buildings were rebuilt 19 years later (in about 1550) as half-timbered structures. In 1587, the first officially Protestant abbess was installed, and in 1616 the community stopped wearing Cistercian habits, although it had a reputation for secret leanings to Catholicism for many years afterwards.

Architecture

Most of the historic buildings, in the style known as Brick Gothic, are well-preserved. East of the church are a water mill and the farm building. Directly north of the church and at right angles to it are the two conventual building ranges: one dates from the Middle Ages, while the one to the east is a post-Reformation half-timbered building of about 1550. Between them is a two-storey cloister, a Brick Gothic masterpiece.

The church consists of two parts: the original Romanesque 11th century church that belonged to the archdeaconry once based here, that predates the foundation of the nunnery, and originally had a tower that was demolished, in keeping with Cistercian practice, when the abbey was first established here; and a Gothic church built onto the west end of the earlier structure, which comprises the nuns' private chapel (Nonnenchor) on the upper floor and the strangers' church or pilgrims' hall (Pilgersaal) on the ground floor. The Romanesque and the Gothic parts of the building are today separated by a wooden partition wall and are used independently.

Completed in the 14th century, the nuns' chapel is remarkable even among Gothic places of worship for its intricate decorations. The ceiling and walls are completely covered with biblical images and ornaments, which portrayed, among other subjects, the Creation, and the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, and his reign in New Jerusalem. Several artifacts were discovered during a renovation in 1953, including the world's oldest preserved rivet spectacles which date back to the 14th or 15th century.[http://www.antiquespectacles.com/topics/wienhausen/wienhausen.htm Kloster Wienhausen: Major Center for Culture and Religion - Home of the World’s Earliest Eyeglasses][http://www.college-optometrists.org/index.aspx/pcms/site.college.What_We_Do.museyeum.online_exhibitions.spectacles.rivet/ Rivet Spectacles - The Wienhausen find] Other artefacts included small religious images on wood or paper, likely used to aid private devotion.{{Cite book |last=Braunstein |first=Philippe |title=A History of Private Life |publisher=Belknap |year=1987 |editor-last=Duby |editor-first=Georges |location=Cambridge, MA |pages=622 |chapter=Toward Intimacy: The Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries}}

The abbey is known for its collection of Gothic tapestries from the 14th and 15th centuries. Each year following Pentecost, the tapestries are on public display. Subjects include both Christian and secular themes, e.g. the legend of Tristan and Isolde, several saints' stories (including Saints Thomas, Anne and Elizabeth), as well as the Mirror of Human Salvation. The art treasures are maintained and displayed by the members of the community.

Today, with several other women's Lutheran religious houses in the area, collectively known as the Lüneburger Klöster, Wienhausen is maintained by the Monastic Chamber of Hanover ({{langx|de|Klosterkammer Hannover}}), an institution of the former Kingdom of Hanover founded by Prince-Regent George IV in 1818, in order to manage and preserve the estates of Lutheran convents on their behalf, now continued as an institution of Hanover's successor state of Lower Saxony subordinate to its Ministry/Department of Science and Culture.[http://www.klosterkammer.de/html/liegenschaften.html Homepage of the Klosterkammer Hannover] {{in lang|de}}

Images

Image:Kloster Wienhausen Bruecke.jpg|

Image:Kloster_Wienhausen_2.jpg|

Image:Kloster Wienhausen Muehle.jpg|

List of abbesses

class="wikitable"

!bgcolor="silver"|name

!bgcolor="silver"|from

!bgcolor="silver"|until

Eveza

|align="right"|1230

|align="right"|1241

Benigna

|align="right"|1241

|align="right"|1243

Margaretha I

|align="right"|1243

|align="right"|1245

Elisabeth I von Wenden

|align="right"|1245

|align="right"|1270

Elisabeth II

|align="right"|1270

|align="right"|1286

Gerburg

|align="right"|1286

|align="right"|1295

Germod

|align="right"|1295

|align="right"|1301

Margaretha II von Schöningen

|align="right"|1301

|align="right"|1318

Margaretha III Bock

|align="right"|1318

|align="right"|1319

Luthgard I

|align="right"|1319

|align="right"|1325

Margaretha IV

|align="right"|1325

|align="right"|1328

Luthgard II von Braunschweig

|align="right"|1328

|align="right"|1338

Jutta von Braunschweig

|align="right"|1338

|align="right"|1343

Luthgard III von Delmenhorst

|align="right"|1343

|align="right"|1359

Elisabeth III von Braunschweig

|align="right"|1359

|align="right"|1386

Mechthild von SachsenDaughter of Eric II of Saxe-Lauenburg.

|align="right"|1386

|align="right"|1405

Olgard von Marenholz

|align="right"|1405

|align="right"|1422

Katharina von Hoya

|align="right"|1422

|align="right"|1469

Susanna Poltstock

|align="right"|1470

|align="right"|1501

Katharina II von Remstede

|align="right"|1501

|align="right"|1549

Dorothea Spörken

|align="right"|1549

|align="right"|1565

Anna von Langeln

|align="right"|1565

|align="right"|1587

Katharina von Langeln

|align="right"|1587

|align="right"|1609

Christina Havekost

|align="right"|1609

|align="right"|1644

Anna von Hohnhorst

|align="right"|1644

|align="right"|1670

Margaretha Walters

|align="right"|1670

|align="right"|1679

Anna Katharina von Wehlse

|align="right"|1679

|align="right"|1685

Anna Engel Maria von Garmsen

|align="right"|1685

|align="right"|1723

Anna Maria von Honhorst

|align="right"|1723

|align="right"|1755

Maria Anna Christiana von der Wense

|align="right"|1756

|align="right"|1767

Sophia Charlotte von Hohnhorst

|align="right"|1767

|align="right"|1788

Margarete Dorothee von Taube

|align="right"|1788

|align="right"|1793

Marie Veronica von Pufendorf

|align="right"|1793

|align="right"|1816

Margarete Dorothee Luise von Vogt

|align="right"|1816

|align="right"|1820

Justine Frederike Werner

|align="right"|1821

|align="right"|1825

Luise Sophie Juliane Eleonore Ritmeier

|align="right"|1825

|align="right"|1865

Wilhelmine Fischer

|align="right"|1865

|align="right"|1881

Jenny Kern

|align="right"|1881

|align="right"|1920

Marie Deneke

|align="right"|1920

|align="right"|1926

Maria Brandis

|align="right"|1927

|align="right"|1934

Bertha Mühry

|align="right"|1934

|align="right"|1950

Luise Fredrichs

|align="right"|1951

|align="right"|1978

Ruth Eckhardt

|align="right"|1978

|align="right"|1982

Hedwig Thierfelder

|align="right"|1982

|align="right"|1989

Mechtild von Döhren

|align="right"|1990

|align="right"|1998

Renate von Randow

|align="right"|1998

|align="right"|

{{Citation|last=Appuhn|first=Horst|title=Chronik und Totenbuch des Klosters Wienhausen|publisher=Schweiger & Pick|year=1986|isbn=3-9801316-6-1}}

Notes

{{reflist|2}}

References

  • {{Citation

| last = Moessner

| first = Victoria Joan

| contribution = The Medieval Embroideries of Convent Wienhausen

| place = Kalamazoo, Michigan

| publisher = Cistercian Publications

| date = May 1982

| title = Studies in Cistercian Art and Architecture, 1 (Cistercian Studies Series)

| edition = 3 (1987)

| isbn = 0-87907-866-9

| url-access = registration

| url = https://archive.org/details/studiesincisterc0000unse

}}

  • {{citation

| last = Mecham

| first = June L.

| contribution = A Northern Jerusalem: Transforming the Spatial Geography of the Convent of Wienhausen

| place =

| publisher = Ashgate Publishing, Ltd.

| year = 2005

| title = Defining the Holy: Sacred Space in Medieval And Early Modern Europe

| pages = 139–160

| edition =

| url = https://books.google.com/books?id=jf7ttGUp_DEC&dq=wienhausen&pg=PA139

| isbn = 0-7546-5194-0 }}

  • {{Citation

| last = McNamara

| first = Jo Ann

| title = Sisters in Arms: Catholic Nuns Through Two Millennia

| place =

| publisher = Harvard University Press

| year = 1996

| location =

| pages = 405f

| edition =

| url = https://books.google.com/books?id=gMk_ZujVEjUC&dq=wienhausen&pg=PA408

| isbn = 0-674-80984-X }}

  • {{Citation

| editor-last = Jeep

| editor-first = John M.

| contribution = Wienhausen

| place =

| publisher = Routledge

| year = 2001

| title = Medieval Germany: An Encyclopedia

| pages = 812–813

| edition =

| url = https://books.google.com/books?id=0Sdo1gNF4D8C&dq=Medieval+Germany+Encyclopedia+john+deep+wienhausen&pg=PA307

| isbn = 0-8240-7644-3 }}

  • {{Citation

| last = McLachlan

| first = Gordon

| contribution = Wienhausen

| place =

| publisher = Rough Guides

| year = 2004

| title = The Rough Guide to Germany

| edition =

| url = https://books.google.com/books?id=ZoM3RV5klowC&dq=wienhausen&pg=PA606

| isbn = 1-84353-293-X }}